Cars are a passion of mine along side my software development work, I currently own a 2017 550i GT that I purchased from Carvana in 2020. I wanted to make a page about this to show what I have done with this car and talk about it a little bit in a longer form than what I can on my Instagram account.
I was originally looking for a luxury vehicle that had a powerful enough engine to be a fun car to drive and perhaps something to brag about a little 😅 I was not planning on buying a 550i especially the GT model but when I came across this one I changed my mind. This has many of the optional packages offered by BMW such as the //M Performance package and Cold Weather Package which are fun and really useful in my area where we get very cold temps most of the year.
Since the original purchase I have done a lot of modifications to the car with some overall goals in mind. My first goal was to increase performance, while this car is crazy fast from the factory at 445HP and 480 lb-ft of torque I knew I could get way more out of it. I did a lot of research and stumbled upon this great article discussing the N63 series of engines and what modifications should be done. These are all essentially bolt on mods which makes them "easy" which is nice as I had very little experience modifying cars before this. I found the exact same suggestions as this article in many places including BMW forums which confirmed my list of things to do.
- ✅ ARM Motorsports Catless Downpipes
- ✅ ARM Motorsports Intake with Front Facing Upgrade
- ✅ ProTuningFreaks Bootmod3 Stage 2 Tune
- ❌ Upgraded Intercoolers (Dinan)
- ❌ Upgraded Turbos
- ✅ Black //M Sport Striped Grille
- ❌ BMW 963M 20" Wheels (from the G80 M3)
- ❌ Black/Carbon Side Markers
- ❌ Carbon Mirrors with Sequential Blinkers
- ❌ Headlights with Vision LED Halos and X Center Beam
- ❌ Extended Carbon Shift Paddles
- ❌ Carbon interior components to replace "piano black" ones
- ❌ Steering Wheel with LED Display and Shift Indicator